Saturday, November 2, 2013

We had a great run

I am an amateur historian, and understand the currents of time. For example, it is quite easy to recognize the fall of the great empires.  The Roman Empire fell, as its control of its territory became untenable. The same happened to the British Empire. Genghis Khan and his descendents controlled an empire larger than the current mass of the United States. None rule the world, because control was not sustainable.

The experiment of the United States of America was truly a fantastic moment in human history, where citizens had rights and the ability to choose their leaders, and to appropriately exercise the concept of free will.

As a historian, I am both fascinated and horrified to see that the experiment has been so short. History shows that no nation or no empire lasts. As much as it pains me, I recognize that the United States of America is on the road to join the Romans, the Brits, and the Mongols. I am grateful that in a thousand years that I will be able to say that I lived during the great administration of Ronald Reagan, but will also be able to unfortunately note that the President in 2013 accelerated our decline.


Essentially, the United States of America shined on the world stage for a short while, but could not defy history. It doesn’t matter if you rule harshly or try to be nice, the end is inevitable. Someday though, perhaps, my descendents will know that I lived during the final strength of the USA when Ronald Reagan expended his life to serve, and the downfall that began in 1993 and accelerated in 2009.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great post Bro...........
Mike